Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Green Smoothie 1

I've been trying to drink more smoothies lately as a lunch replacement. It's a great way to get more fresh fruits and vegetables into your system, especially when you add greens and make a Green Smoothie.

Here's the 2nd green smoothie I made, and it was fantastic. The first one sucked. I used mustard greens. DON'T USE MUSTARD GREENS IN A SMOOTHIE EVER, EVER, EVER.

Ingredients:
  • 3 handfuls of green grapes
  • 2 big handfuls of baby spinach
  • 1 banana
  • 1 pear
  • 1/2 green pepper
  • About 1/2 cup vanilla greek yogurt
  • Some water & some ice cubes

You even get a picture of this one in all it's neon-green-glory. Check out the Mr. Hankey glass.... classy!

Usually when I make a smoothie, I start by putting in whatever liquid I'm using (water, fruit juice, coconut water is also great) and a handful or so of fruit. I blend that all up until it's smooth and then I add other stuff, one or two things at a time, blend some more, and keep stopping and adding more until either the blender is full or until I've used up all my ingredients. If it gets too thick you can add more liquid. Then I set it on "Food Processor" and let it go for a minute or two.

The cool thing about smoothies is you can sort of just start throwing in whatever crap you've got sitting around in your fridge that you need to use up. Like the 1/2 green pepper in this one? It was in the fridge for a couple of days and I was afraid we'd forget about it, so I tossed it in. The grapes were also not in great condition for eating- they were getting a little soft- so in they went. The baby spinach was also sort of starting to go...
See where this is going?

This smoothie was just a product of trying to empty out all of the produce in the fridge and not let it go to waste.

No comments: